Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wedding plates

Today's tip: if you're going to get plates made by an unfamiliar supplier at the last minute, at least make sure to check that it's the kind of plate you're after.

A few days ago I finished designing the Order of Service booklet cover, table menus, name place cards, symbol cards, and table numbers for our wedding. I made a trip out to Hume yesterday to pick up the film for the plates. After sending a bad PDF to Joe which resulted in an unclear film, I had to go home and re-PDF the artwork, then go pick it up again. I took the good film to A&S Printers but after a couple of minutes there, realised that their normal plates are metal-backed polymers. That would've normally been fine, except I'd laid the designs on the film so close together that I wouldn't have been able to cut them up successfully. So after a bit of running around to find alternatives, A&S offered to order in the film-backed plates for me. They should arrive on Friday morning, and I'll be in to pick up the final plates on Friday afternoon. It's a long weekend this week, so any delay would mean losing 3 days of printing time, which, considering the wedding is 9 days away, is too big a risk.

Tonight I'm cutting up some of the paper, ready for printing tomorrow night (I still don't have a guillotine so this is quite painful).

Of course, I've made a lot of our wedding plans as complicated as humanly possible, but it'll be worth it, right?

3 comments:

Queen Bee Amy said...

You will look back years from now and be glad you did this. And, you will have a keepsake that has your blood, sweat and tears wrapped up in it. Think how relaxing your day will be with this all behind you. :)

Anonymous said...

oh you poor thing! not what you need 9 days before your wedding!! but don't worry, it will definitely all be worth it. you've done such a great job on them :)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. Thank you so much for linking me! I'll link you back.